Wednesday, February 25, 2015

HUD Program Problems

_________________________________________________________________


Turns out HUD's biggest Program problem is the OHA
On May 2, 2010, I received this email from Special Programs Manager, Lin Fulcher at the Ogden Housing Authority, informing me that Kier Management had been using a lease which had been previously disapproved (4) by HUD and their agency.  Kier failed to remedy the situation and although the lease that they were using (7d) contained prohibited content, the Ogden Housing Authority permitted them to continue using it, for nearly the entire 4-years that they managed my building. 


Ms. Fulcher went on to accuse me of allowing tenants to add persons to their households without authorization (7d) and questions whether or not I had an unauthorized occupant's permission to run a background check on him, when the authorization was attached to the form she was referring to.

Ms. Fulcher then suggested that a meeting between myself and the OHA might be in order, to discuss these and other issues., to which I wholeheartedly agreed.

After making numerous attempts to contact Ms. Fulcher via phone, email, messages to her assistants and several in-person visits to her office, I finally heard back from her-

112 DAYS LATER!!

Talk About Program Problems



I responded to Ms. Fulcher's email with this letter, in which I informed her that I had absolutely no idea that Kier had been using a lease for my property that their agency had previoously disapproved.

I also informed her that it was not me, but Kier  Management who had allowed tenants to add people to their households. I was merely trying to ensure that all of the tenants were in compliance with Program rules. 

On November 30, 2009  when I took the building over from Kier, five of the units had 9-additional occupants living in them, who did not appear on the tenant's leases and did not have the approval or the authorization of the Ogden Housing Authority to live there. (#2, #3, #7, #10, #14).  Every single one of those tenants told me that they didn't realize they were doing anything wrong, because Kier knew about their additional occupants and never had a problem with it.

For the most part, all of the concerns raised by Ms. Fulcher, were due to their own negligence and Kier's negligent mismanagement of the property, and through no fault on my own. 

Does it strike anyone else as odd, that Kier would be permitted to continually use a lease which had been disapproved by Ogden Housing, yet when I use a lease with the same content, the Ogden Housing Authority comes down on me like a ton of bricks?








In yet another example of OHA inconsistency, they failed to give a tenant the required 30-day notice before increasing her rent.  

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, since they essentially gave my tenants just 23-days when they terminated my contract with HUD




It is abundantly clear that the OHA has a separate set of rules they use when doing business with
Kier Property Management



                                                    

No comments: