Friday, February 27, 2015

The OHA Allowed Kier Management To Use A Disapproved Lease:
FOR NEARLY 4-YEARS




On May 5, 2010, I received this email from Lin Fulcher, the Special Programs Manager at the Ogden Housing Authority, scolding me for using the same lease that Kier had used for my property for nearly 4-years. According to the email, the Ogden Housing Authority had disapproved the lease that Kier was using, yet they continued to allow them to use it from March 22, 2006 through September 30, 2009 (the last lease that Kier executed at my  property)


Since I was unfamiliar with the content that was required for a lease at a HUD property, and because Kier was such a large company and did an enormous amount of subsidized housing business with the Ogden Housing Authority, I assumed that any lease they were using would have the correct content. So, when I took over the management of my building and began leasing units, I made a direct, word for word copy of the last lease that Kier had used at my building.


WHAT A MISTAKE
THAT WAS!

Concerned that I had done something wrong, I immediately responded to the OHA's email, with a copy of my lease and asked them to point out the sections that contained any disapproved and/or prohibited content, so that I could make the necessary corrections. 

What I got back from them was the epitome of Ogden Housing corruption, and a perfect example of the separate set of rules that they routinely allowed Kier Management to operate under. 

Below, is a side by side comparison of Kier's lease and my lease after the Ogden Housing Authority had edited out all of the disapproved and/or disallowed content in it. The verbiage in both lease is virtually identical, yet the Ogden Housing Authority allowed Kier to use their disapproved lease, for nearly the entire time that they managed my property. 

In stark contrast, within 2-weeks of executing my first lease, the Ogden Housing Authority came down on me like a ton of bricks and demanded that I change it immediately, under the threat of terminating my contract with HUD.


                                                    

No comments: